Saturday, May 17, 2014

Home

I've been a gypsy most of my life.  Born in Boston, missionary kid in Asia, back and forth between Canada and the United States most of my adult life.  The concept of "home" for me is very fluid.  It tends to be wherever I am living at the moment.  When people ask me where I am from I usually answer with my current location, to which they reply "you've lived in Vegas your whole life?"  To which I reply "no" to which they reply "so where are you from?" To which I reply "Vegas" to which they reply...well, I think you get the idea.

Right now I am back in Canada visiting Jo and the kids for what will hopefully be the last time before I am able to actually come back here and pick them up and bring them back to Vegas with me permanently. Every morning as I wake up next to Jo and see her sleeping I am reminded that home is where she is. It isn't a house or a city.  It isn't a country.  My home is where my wife is.

In the same way I am a gypsy on this earth.  My true home is where my God is.  Every time I read His Word, connect with Him in a moment of worship, hear His voice in a lyric or melody, sense His presence as I gaze at the stars at night, I am reminded that where I live right now is just an address, its just a location in a city on a planet far away from my true home.  

I am a gypsy, but someday I will be home.  
I imagine, at times, that God is looking down at all of us on this earth and saying to himself "I can't wait until I can go down there and bring them back home with me."

I know it because I feel the same way about Jo and the kids who I love with all that I am and because I know that Jesus loves us with all that He is too.

Home is where the ones you love and the ones who love you are together.  That is what I want most in this life and the next.


No comments:

Post a Comment