Thursday, May 29, 2014

Boredom

There really is an "end" to the internet.  I've seen every good (and bad) movie on Netflix.  I'm tired of ESPN and Sports Center highlights.  I've wandered aimlessly through shopping malls and along mountain trails for long enough.  I am sick and tired of updating my Facebook and Twitter status.  I have absolutely no interest in making another meal for one person.

I am bored out of my freaking mind.

Not that there isn't enough work today.  Trust me, I would work a lot more if there was more to do.  At some point all the work is done and you are left surfing youtube for funny videos about cats or roasts of your favorite actor or upcoming trailers for movies or new songs to learn or....

When you are bored it is easy to get in trouble or to get lazy.  I guess that is why so many people take up hobbies.  I don't have a hobby.  Not that it isn't cool for some people, but stamp or coin collecting, or collecting anything really, just never appealed to me.  Neither does wood work or knitting or fixing up old cars or painting.

I play guitar, piano and write songs for a living, so learning a musical instrument isn't really high up on the list of "new" things to do.

I go to the gym, but I refuse to live at the gym.  (Actually now that I think about it, I wonder if some of those huge guys who do almost live at the gym are as bored as I am and they have chosen the gym as the way to deal with it)

I could take Karate (again) but seriously, I'm 44.  I'd probably break something...important.  Like numerous parts of my body.

Maybe this is when guys my age go through their "mid-life crisis" and buy a sports car and a new wife. I just bought a mini-van and I have a gorgeous wife already.

I already went back to school (which is what my wife labels as my mid life crisis).

I've begun working on becoming an ordained minister within my denomination, a rather monumental task when I compare my tribe with just about every other denomination and church I know.  There are a lot of books to read, a lot of reports to write, exams to prepare for, and conferences to attend.  This takes away some of the "spare" time, but it does not eliminate it.

I know, however, that this boredom is especially noticeable because I am living in Vegas while Jo and the kids are living 3,000 miles away waiting for their green cards so that we can be together again and we've been like this for 10 months now and so inevitably (usually on my days off), I find myself aimless and alone and to be honest I am bored of being bored.

I am bored of writing blog updates about how bored I am.
And yet, this is an honest part of what it is like to live apart for a year.


           

1 comment:

  1. Oh man.
    As I was reading this, I felt like you were paraphrasing Ecclesiastes... pretty amazing. I'm sorry for all the waiting and disappointment you're experiencing, but love how raw and honest you are about it. It's a part of life. Even Christians experience it (and that's okay). I think it's how we respond to it all that matters. Praying for you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete