Wednesday, April 23, 2014

And then something good happened

So we are in the "final" phase of this Immigration journey (nightmare), whatever that means.  Despite the fact that it has taken over eight months, despite the fact that my daughter's file has mysteriously gotten separated from Jo's file and the boy's files and is weeks ahead of theirs in the process, despite these and a million other small, tiny, details, there is a light at the end of this tunnel.

We still don't know when exactly we will get an interview date, or as of yet, what forms the government will require us to file before that interview date, but, but, but, but, at least we are in the phase where they now ask for all these documents, meaning the end is near (ish).

One of the things the government will ask for are my tax transcripts for the past few years.  The only problem with this is that I have been living out of the country for several years and so have only recently filed all of my back taxes for the years I lived outside the US (don't ask, it is a long story and very convoluted and confusing - which is why I am not going to bother you with all the dark and mysterious details).

I tried to order the transcripts online.  The IRS website locked me out.  I was not happy.
I tried mailing in transcript requests.  They said I would hear from them in ten business days.  I waited. Ten days came and went.  Twenty days.  Nothing.  I was not happy.
The IRS website does not contain a phone number where you can call and ask for transcripts.  You must show up at an IRS office with proper identification.

A trip to the Las Vegas IRS office was in my future.  I was not looking forward to it.  I've been to government offices before.  I took my ipad, my ipod, my phone, a case of water, food for several days, a sleeping bag and a pillow.  I said "Good-bye" to my co-workers and told them I was hoping to be back at work within 3-5 business days.  I took enough money to pay for parking for a week.  I was expecting the usual bureaucratic, red-tape, long lines, and hassle that accompany most government offices.

And then something good happened.

The IRS office was fast, efficient, pleasant, not overcrowded, clean, and a down right enjoyable experience.  The ladies who worked there were friendly, they took care of me, got me all the documents I needed, didn't charge me for anything, and best of all, I was in and out in less than one hour.

One hour people!  At the IRS.  Less than 2 weeks after tax season when everyone should be down there crying and moaning and whining and fighting about their tax returns.  But not today.  Today, the IRS was like a little piece of paradise.  And I'm not even lying.

Now, if I could just get Immigration to take a lesson from them, we'd be done this whole thing tomorrow and Jo and the kids would be down here in no time.

But for today, I will be thankful when something good happens.  Today, something good did.

Thanks Las Vegas IRS office.  You were awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment