Thursday, April 3, 2014

6 weeks, 42 days, 1008 hours

6 weeks.  42 days.  1008 hours.
This is how long it will be until I see my family again.  As I was sitting on the plane yesterday, flying back to Vegas after spending a short week with Jo and the kids, the thought of 6 weeks away from them again was a little overwhelming.  Remember, we've been doing this for 8 months now, so in the past 8 months, I've spent about 6 total weeks with them.
6 weeks seems like a long time.
So I started thinking in terms of days.  42 days until I see them again.
That doesn't seem quite so bad.  For some reason the thought of days instead of weeks seems less daunting.  One day at a time.
Then I started thinking in terms of hours.  1008 hours until I see them again.  My flight was three hours, I'll sleep for 8 hours, so already I'm down to under 1000 hours.  That was easy.  Well not really, but thinking in terms of hours makes it go so much faster, at least in my head.

Maybe that is why Jesus tells us not to worry about tomorrow.  Don't let the enormity of life get to you. Think in terms of the here and now, of the day you are in, of the hour that you have right now.  Enjoy this hour, live this hour, love this hour, believe this hour.  You are only responsible for this hour.

What will you do with this hour?  I know I've wasted many many hours of my life.  I don't want to waste any more.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment