Monday, January 27, 2014

a night on the town

I have a great friend by the name of Mark Berry.  He manages a Lindo Michoacan restaurant and cantina here in Vegas.  (Great food by the way)  On Sunday he invited me to be his guest at a special invite only presentation of three guitarists who were playing an exclusive show at his restaurant.  The guitarists were Mario Olivares, Roman Miroshnichenko, and Roger Espinoza.

Three amazing guitarists, combining and fuzing three very different styles into one night of amazing music.  These are guys who play because they love music.  I'm a musician and a guitar player and I know when I hear good music - not overproduced commercialized pop pablum, but real, gritty, down to earth music played by talented people who do it for love of the music, not for the money or the fame.

In honor of the night Mark had the chef's make special guacamole.  I shed a tear as I ate it.  It was that spicy.  Even Jorge, the guy I was sitting next to at the bar all night said it was hot.  So you know, it was hot.

One of the guitar players was from Russia.  Someone bought him a vodka shot during the show.  He drank it and then said "what is this, water?"  The next round was a full glass of the good stuff.  The more he drank the better he got.  That never happened to me back in the day.  I guess you have to be Russian....

I got home late last night, completely fulfilled by a night of amazing musicianship.  Seeing great musicians up close and personal (close enough I could talk to the guys between songs from where I was sitting) is a rewarding experience.  I recommend it.

Don't ignore your local music scene.  Don't pass up on the chance to see real, live, underground artists.
Real music is not overproduced auto-tuned commercialized mass-marketed money driven tunes sung by little girls wearing next to nothing.  Don't buy into the lie that it is.

Have a night on the town seeing real musicians honing their craft on little stages in tiny cantinas and bars.  You won't regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment