Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween

Yesterday I tweeted that I was not going to dress up for Halloween.  I said that I was going to just be myself, or something along those lines.  Well, tonight there is a big Halloween party at work.  Everyone is going and everyone is dressing up.  I've already seen the costumes.  I don't want to be the only guy there without a costume.  So, I have decided to dress up as the scariest thing I know.
I'm going as a Seattle Seahawk's fan.

HaHaHa...o.k. seriously.

Halloween and Christianity.  Should a Christian participate in, or celebrate, such an obviously pagan holiday.  (There are, by the way, very good arguments that would indicate that perhaps Halloween is based more on Christian origins than on pagan ones, however the pagan traditions were more fun and so began to take over)
I've gone back and forth on this.  When I was in my more fundamentalist days (yes, I had them) I wouldn't let my kids dress up or go trick-or-treating.  We just bought them candy ourselves.  In my more liberal days (which some of you are saying, does it get more liberal than this?) we took our kids to big trick-or-treat parties or took them up and down our street.

Here is what I always come back to.  Where would Jesus be?
I know exactly where He would be.  He'd be out with people.  A big wedding party?  Check.  A funeral? Check.  A huge dinner party at the home of the head of the NRA?  Check.  Cocktails with the mayor and the head of the IRS?  Check.  Dinner with the Republican caucus?  Check.  Lunch with the Democratic National Convention?  Check.  Down on the docks on Monday morning?  Check.  At the playground with the moms and the kids?  Check.  At church?  Check.  At a Halloween party?  Why not.

Take what you want from this post.  I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

Oh ya, underneath my Seattle Seahawks costume, I'll be wearing my 49er T-shirt!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment